Union Membership and Industrial Representation
The Alliance is a joint initiative of ASMOF (NSW) and AMA (NSW) and provides doctors-in-training with a powerful voice in workplace and industrial matters, medico legal matters and with your professional development.
ASMOF is a strong and progressive union which works exclusively for salaried doctors.
With nearly 5000 members in NSW our strength lies in the dedication and commitment of our members to the provision and development of quality health services and to defending and promoting members’ industrial rights.
We provide a truly democratic voice for doctors in training to work together to achieve and maintain a fair and safe workplace, better pay and improved rights at work. By becoming an Alliance member, you can add to the strength of this work. Our success depends on the support of members who share your interests and concerns.
ASMOF (NSW) employs specialist industrial staff to negotiate and your rights at work. As a member, you get:
- Fast, accurate advice from our experienced industrial staff.
- Expert representation in bargaining for salary increases and improved conditions of employment
- Skilled advocacy of your issues and concerns in workplace disputes and restructuring, and if necessary quality representation in industrial tribunals.
We stand up for the rights of salaried doctors at work, and we have the proven track record of achieving real and meaningful improvements which includes recovering over $6 million in underpaid wages for junior doctors.
Other Member Benefits and Discounts
There are plenty of other great reasons to be an Alliance member, including discounts on travel, access to Union Shopper, and free accident journey insurance that covers you if you are injured on the way to or from work.
If you have any queries regarding these benefits please contact AMA (NSW) Member Services on 02 9439 8822 or via email.
Please note that members who pay by the month may be asked to pay for 12 months of membership before accessing these benefits, if they have not been a member for a full year.
The AMA (NSW) Careers Service can provide help, over the phone or in person, on issues including:
- Resume development
- Cover letter and application reviews
- Interview preparation
- Developing your social media profile
- Career planning across all levels of experience, skill and ambition
The Doctors’ Health Fund is a restricted private health fund originally created by the AMA in 1977 to serve the medical community. Now part of Avant Mutual, thousands of doctors trust Doctors’ Health Fund for better cover, better extras and better value health insurance.
Travel and Journey Insurance
- Free, comprehensive travel insurance for you, your spouse and dependent children when travelling together domestically or overseas under ASMOF (NSW) Corporate Travel policy.
- ASMOF (NSW) Accident journey insurance policy covers you if you are injured travelling to or from work
Union Shopper and Australian Unions Member Benefits both 100% union-owned organisations that take advantage of the collective bargaining power of unions across Australia to provide benefits and savings to members and their families for a wide variety of consumer goods. You can save money with low cost banking and loans, on new cars, car hire, electrical goods, insurance, accommodation, travel, gift cards, movies, wine and more.
Hall Payne Lawyers
A free, untimed, initial consultation with Hall Payne lawyers (when referred by ASMOF) and a 10% discount on Hall Payne’s standard rates if you continue to use any of its legal services.